CLIMATE CHANGE RESOURCES
This page is meant to provide you with insight as to where you and your team can intervene in the system to help combat, adapt to, and mitigate climate change.
Background information on the science of climate change and the mitigation and adaptation efforts that are already taking place worldwide
- *Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: Detailed report on climate change mitigation
- NOAA’s Climate.gov: Provides an abundance of resources from news & features, to maps & data, to teaching resources on climate change
- NASA Global Climate Change: NASA explores the vital signs of our planet with facts, articles, and solutions to climate change
- The CLEAN Collection - Compiled by the Climate Literacy & Energy Awareness Network, this collection is a rigorously reviewed collection of over 650 educational resources aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards.
Buildings, architecture, transportation, infrastructure, and cities
- Why Cities?: Ending climate change begins in the city
- UN-Habitat For A Better Urban Future: Information on cities and adaptation, mitigation, next steps, and COP21
- Cities and Climate Change: An Urgent Agenda: The World Bank comprehensive report on the relationship between cities and climate change
- 7 Ways Architecture Can Tackle Global Warming: Examples of current architectural innovations that are combating climate change
- Architecture 2030 - Why the Building Sector?: A breakdown of how buildings contribute to climate change and have room for improvement
- Living Building Challenge: Information on the most advanced measure of sustainability in the built environment
- Climate X Change: Information on reducing emissions in the built environment
- MIT Built Environment & Infrastructure: Research focused on sustainable design, energy efficiency, and material development for the built environment and large-scale infrastructure
Biodiversity & Ecosystem Services
Impacts and approaches for the conservation of natural landscapes and oceans for the protection of biodiversity and the essential services these ecosystems provide
- Conservation in a Changing Climate: A detailed analysis of the impacts climate change is having and will have on wildlife in North America
A look into the diverse issues surrounding freshwater, including drinking water, stormwater, runoff, precipitation changes, and future water projections.
- Addressing Climate Change in the Water Sector: Provides tools, training, research and news about water sector issues
- *Freshwater Ecosystems (UN-Water): Details the United Nation’s strategy and priority areas on freshwater ecosystems.
- Unplugging the Colorado River: An examination of how climate change is rapidly reducing one of the largest supplies of freshwater in the Western US and how man-made dams can have damaging realities
- State-by-State Water Supply Sustainability Overview: Provides an overview of the extremely high risk of water shortages that will be faced throughout the USA due to climate change
- *UN-Water: Statistics, factsheets, articles on a multitude of water related topics
Sea levels rising, Arctic ice melting, ocean acidification, and coral bleaching, climate change is putting our oceans under a lot of stress.
- Marine Problems: An overview of the problems facing marine ecosystems due to climate change
- Only 7% of the Great Barrier Reef has Avoided Coral Bleaching: A look into how the world’s largest barrier reef is being destroyed by climate change
- What is Ocean Acidification?: NOAA outlines the chemistry and biological impacts of ocean acidification
- The World Will Run out of Breathable Air Unless Carbon is Cut: A new study finds that unabated greenhouse gas emissions will cripple ocean phytoplankton’s ability to produce oxygen
- Wildfire Shifts Could Dump More Ice-Melting Soot in Arctic: More fires and longer fire seasons have impacts much larger than in their origin locations
As sea levels rise, coastal communities and ecosystems are becoming increasingly jeopardized
- RISE: Climate Change and Coastal Communities: a multimedia project discussing sea level rise
Policy & Social Systems
Social and organizational impacts and approaches, e.g. government action, community organizing, behavior change campaigns, etc.
- Center for Climate and Energy Solutions: Provides information on climate change policy on the state level through the international level
- Climate Change is Going to be Expensive For Everyone: An analysis of how climate change will affect different economies globally
- Climate Institute articles: A compilation of articles discussing global climate policies and society
- UN Sustainable Development Goals: Information on climate action and climate partnerships for the global south
Human Health & Wellbeing
Climate refugees and natural disasters (floods, droughts, forest fires, superstorms, resource depletion) - how climate change is harming the world’s most vulnerable populations
Fossil fuels, nuclear, renewables and the amount of energy we consume as a species
Greenhouse gases, carbon capture and sequestration, and atmospheric science
Agriculture & Food Issues
Agriculture, food waste, food security, food emissions
- Big Facts on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security
- 5 Food Commodities Produce More GHGs than Any Country Apart from China, US: A breakdown of the ‘dirtiest’ crops
- Can We Actually Make a Difference by Changing the Way We Eat?: A look into food waste
- Agriculture and Climate Change: Learn more about climate disruptions to agriculture
Licensing credits for the numerous images used can be found here.